Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 1995 20:15:50 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        glen@winternet.com (Glen Overby), hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

>1)	There is adamant opposition to a symbol resolution facility
>	in the kernel itself.

   There is? Certainly not from me. The only reservation I've ever raised
about this is that the symbols consume about 100K of memory and on a 4MB
machine, this is a lot. Personally, I'd really like to see the symbols in
the kernel address space. This would make things like symbolic tracebacks
possible in the standard non-DDB case. This would go a long way toward
making it easier to troubleshoot kernel panics. How many times have you seen
me say "do an nm /kernel | sort and tell me what function the IP is within"?
Dozens, and I'm getting tired of saying it!.

-DG