Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:42:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice-5.0...

>Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:36:09 -0800
>From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

>> 	When talkign with friends that use Linux, and talking about our
>> /proc file system, they think its hilarious that I can't go into proc and
>> find out what irqs are being used by the system...maybe I'm missing
>> something, but about the only way I can do it currently is to look through
>> dmesg output?  Is there another way?

>I have to ask - why do you care?  I can think of much better things to
>do with my time than stare at the list of IRQ's in use - what do they
>expect them to do?  A little song and dance number perhaps?

Well, one example of something I would like to be able to do is to have
an automatic procedure (say, a script) that I could run on a box and get
enough information that I could squirrel away (off-site, for example) so
that, given the list and enough money, I could specify what parts to buy
so the machine could be re-created (and so that once the off-site
backups were restored, I'd have a fairly good approximation to the
original machine).

Even better:  I'd like for a person who is not necessarily a FreeBSD
wizard be able to read the list, specify the parts, and assemble them
into a working whole.

>(If you need the information, try 'systat -vmstat'.)

That may well be useful for many purposes.  It's not at all obvious that
it's useful for what I'm trying to do.  So far, looking at
/var/run/dmesg.boot comes closest that I've been able to find, but
there's very little there about the video card(s?), for example.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621