Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 18:22:14 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1-BETA2 FAILURE on IBM A30p Thinkpad

> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 00:33:32 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>

> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote in message
> > > From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
> > > Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 02:12:32 -0400
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
> > >

> > > "Andre Guibert de Bruet" <andy@siliconlandmark.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
> > Does you r kernel configuration have:
> > options DISABLE_PSE
> > options DISABLE_PG_G
>
> I don't know. Does it? I was using the kernel that comes on the CDROM that I
> burned from an ISO image. I have no clue what options it is compiled with.
> That's part of what I find so frustrating. :)

It does not, but it lacks apm, as well. the GENERIC kernel (on the
CDROM) is built using the configuration file /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC. You
probably want to modify it to better match your system. I suspect that
you will at least want 'device pcm', 'device smb', and 'device ichsmb'.
If you want to use APM, add it to the configuration file.

If this is not clear to you, read the Handbook section on customizing the
kernel.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)