Date:      Thu, 3 May 2007 22:19:33 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix friendly network testbench for FreeBSD?

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

On 2007-May-02 14:40:35 -0700, youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
>Hmmm... ok, expanding on that what I was looking for was a means to=20
>simulate semi-realtime delays across a virtual network with 4+ virtual=20
>machines. Is it possible to use Dummynet in this case, or do I need to loo=
k=20
>into something else?

Dummynet can provide bandwidth restriction as well as msec-granularity
delays on packets being pushed through a pipe.  You can glue together
multiple pipes (packets go through several pipes with different
characteristics).

I'm not sure what your virtual machines need to do so I can't comment
whether FreeBSD would be useable.

>Other conditions I planned on imposing are non-locking NFS (causes a lot o=
f=20
>issues here with files at work),

Should be OK

> and have SUSE 32-bit clients (host OS of choice at work)

FreeBSD doesn't have SuSE clients but should be able to run them in
its Linux emulation layer.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq