Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 19:08:57 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        Question=answer <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1 (fwd)

Spidey wrote:

> Hello!
>

> For sanity, I have a WD 3.2Gb hard drive partitionned this way:
>
> DOS (C:)        1 Gb
> FreeSpace:      500 Mb ?
> FreeBSD:        1.275 Gb
> FreeSpace:      500 Mb ?
>
> This is the output of partition magic...
>
> However, fdisk tells me that:
>
> Part:   Type:           Size:
> 1       unused          ?
> 2       165 (FreeBSD)   1275 Mb
> 3       6 (DOS=FAT16)   1000 Mb
> 4       unused          ?
>
> Is the order difference important? What is the cause of this
> difference?

partition magic is reporting the order of the partitions on the disk
freebsd fdisk is reporting the order in the table,
they don't have to match.

> Before making the big move, I'll make my DOS partition a little bigger
> (See another posting to the list). I intend to use the rest of the
> partition to the grace of FreeBSD. I have ported almost nothing and my
> /usr boosted up to 1 Gig! Now I want to install some other stuff and I
> feel like I will always be missing some space... Is it feasable to use a
> 1.5 Gb partition to the sake of FreeBSD, when you use the ports to install
> (because it imports the source, contrarly to the package method)?

why not delete the source after you have compiled it?
(make clean is your friend)

also cd /usr/ports/distfiles and rm anything you
have already installed.

> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > you CAN do that but you have to REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
>
> > 0/ write down (or better, print) teh output of fdisk and disklabel
> > for the appropriate device.
> > 1/ boot the fixit floppy, (I presume it has fdisk, disklabel and dd)
>
> You _presume_... How can I know?

boot the install disk
choose the 'fixit' option
follow instructions.
check if said files exist.
I don't have one around here.

> > 2/ copy the first 8K from the existing BSD partition to the first 8k of
> > the Win95 partition using dd and teh raw devices
> > ( dd if=/dev/rwd0s2 of=/dev/rwd0s1 count=16)
>
> Actually, it will be a DOS partition I'll be bumming space from...

you didn't say how you wat this to end up
what is really on the disk is:

4MB free
1000MB DOS
500MB free
1250MB FBSD
500MB free

You say you want to grow the DOS by some amount.
use partition magic for that first before any other changes..
We need that completed before we go any further.

the rest we can do from a running freebsd system (gasp)
send me the output of freebsd's fdisk after you've done that.