Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 19:09:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        bad@uhf.wireless.net (Bernie Doehner)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To be a quickcam or not to be.

Hi,

> I am personaly looking at getting the Win/TV board, but this is a for a
> scool project (professor wants a quickcam).
>
> This "The Smart one" only costs $169 for the color version vs. $230-250
> for the regular color Quickcam.

for cheap videoconferencing stuff, also note that now are available on
the market kits containing a PCI video acquisition board and a (small,
cheap) camera. I first saw a note about them on the news, stating a
price of $199 or so in some place in asia (Japan, singapore ?).

A couple of weeks ago I found on a catalogue the following item:

	AVER TV PHONE
	TV - radio - videoconferencing

	L. 504.000 incl. vat (approx 250 US$ + VAT).

consider that the color quickcam here costs about 630.000 including vat.

the picture accompanying the announcement shows a PCI card which looks
much like a Bt848 unit with a tuner, a TV remote control, and a thing
which is either a microphone or (more likely) a camera. God knows if
you get a camera for that price, but it would not be unreasonable,
after all the video acquisition board might well sold for $100 and a
small cheap color camera should not be that expensive, in volumes.

	Cheers
	Luigi