Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:20:52 -0400
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        "Richard C." <freebsd@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TOSHIBA, FreeBSD + X Locks up.... :(

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On  0, "Richard C." <freebsd@telus.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
>     I've got a Toshiba Satelite Pro 4300 Laptop. Celeron 700, 64M RAM
> running FreeBSD 4.3-RC and XFree86 3.3.6.
>=20
> X runs very nice! But after so long, I could be switching windows and the
> whole system locks up completely! I can't even CNTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE out of=
> or CNTRL-ALT-F2 for console. Pressing the power button does nothing, unle=
ss
> of course I hold it down to do a hard reset. That of course isn't good...=
 :(

I have a 4360 that runs quite nicely, assuming a few things:

1)  APM + X (on the Savage IX chipset that's in there) is a no-no.  APM see=
ms
to work OK when in text mode (I can suspend & resume - everything works OK
except the PCMCIA cards on resume - not sure if that's been fixed since I
last did an update.)  Due to some glitches in the Savage handling, APM
events tend to blow up X.

2)  Switching back and forth between X and text mode also causes X to blow
up quite frequently.  What is interesting is that telling Gnome to exit
(graceful shutdown of X) almost always blows it up, while doing a
ctrl-alt-bksp to violently kill X usually returns the display to normal.
Haven't look at why this happens, but it does...

3)  (The big one)  Is it really locked up, or (like mine when it blows up)
is it just stuck with no keyboard or display?  I hooked a serial terminal
up to the back of it and started a login session over that - when X blew up,
the serial terminal was still running fine - could do a proper shutdown and
power-off.  (Shutdown & reboot still leaves the display unusable, but the
system does boot up and start running - you just can't see anything.)

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the 10-minute eval version of the Xig server
and tried it out.  With that one, I was able to switch back forth between X
and text, restart X, etc. without any glitches.  (Didn't try playing with
APM, though.)  But for the $149(?) it costs, I'll deal with the glitches for
now.  My wife already thinks I spent enough on my new toy.

mike

(BTW: I haven't done much updating on this machine since December.  Some of
this stuff might have been fixed since then - I just don't have a driving
reason to spend a lot of time working on it right now.)

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--