Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:00:40 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: San Jose Mercury News

At 03:44 PM 2/22/99 , Brett Glass wrote:
>At 02:42 PM 2/22/99 -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:
>
>>Does it ever occur to these reporters that Linux's success just might
>>have something to do with the fact that Microsoft products simply do
>>not work, and Linux does?
>
>If it were merely that, then FreeBSD would be equally successful --
>more successful, in fact, as it it smore reliable. Timing, PR, and
>advocacy (though done largely by fanatics) allowed Linux to gain a
>foothold and eclipse the technologically superior BSD derivatives.

One of the MAJOR attractive items of Linux is that it can run for months
and years without a reboot.. My NT machine needs a good boot rather often,
but not as much as my Win95 machine, which can run less than a day on the
boot..  Stability is everything.. Noone can access network services if the
machine is always being rebooted, and it takes 5-20 minutes to do it at that.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP DSS/1024 Public Key ID: 0x409A1F7D