Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:23:51 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        brian merrell <bean@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: javaws

--------------enig2E4064FDE8E6D969B8C9EC2D

brian merrell wrote:
> I've been googleing all morning on this one...
>=20
> I'm need to get javaws to work.  I am using FreeBSD6.1-RELEASE amd64.
>=20
> I've tried installing the diablo packages (both jdk and jre), and=20
> apparently it does not include javaws, is this correct?
>=20
> I've tried installing the linux-sun-jdk15 package.  It installed=20
> okay, but javaws is broken:
>=20
> "
> [root@cobweb /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk15]# javaws
> Java Web Start splash screen process exiting ...
> Bad installation: JAVAWS_HOME not set: No such file or directory
> "
>=20
> And I've tried compiling /usr/ports/java/jdk15 and it fails:
>=20
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=3D0xffffefd4, pid=3D28699, tid=3D49156
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.2_12-b03 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  0xffffefd4
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid2869=
9.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
>=20
> Any pointers or ideas?  javaws is a necessity for me.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Brian.
>=20
> I have attached hs_err_pid28699.log
>=20

Works for me using diablo-jdk 1.5.x:

happy-idiot-talk:~:% pkg_which /usr/local/bin/javaws=20
javavmwrapper-2.3

If you install a JDK or JRE from ports you should get a link via the
javavmwrapper that makes javaws work -- and you don't need to set anythin=
special in your environment either.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20