Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:58:30 -0900 (AKST)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: talk

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 01:35:02AM -0900, Steve Howe wrote:
> >
> > i don't know if the talk program is wrong,
> > or the talk manpage, or me.
> >
> > according to the manpage, i should be able to say
> >
> > $ talk username
> >
> > to talk to anyone one the same machine.
> > but in practice, this doesn't work for me,
> > i have to say
> >
> > $ talk username@localhost
> >
> > for things to work.  who's right, and who's wrong?
> >
> > 2.2.7 ...
>
> Both talk and its manpage are right, and you are wrong ;-)
> What does `talk username' tell you?
> What is your hostname (according to /bin/hostname)?

i'm sorry, i don't understand.
the man page says:

talk person [ttyname]

and it says that person is just the login name,
and that you only have to use the longer forms,
ie - user@host, host!user, host:user ...
if the person is on another host.

but i'm talking about users on the same host.
the manpage does say that you should reply
with "talk your_name@your_machine" ...