Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 22:37:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        staylor@mrynet.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropped from ALL freebsd lists?!?

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	how am i to know its going to be one bad day?
> 	how am i to notify you?  cant do it by mail......
> 	i could try telephone, canada is much closer than
> 	some subscribers, and whois does give me your phone number.....

I think the problem here is that you're trying to do this manually, where
it is much more difficult to work these things out.  I think you need to
look in to some list management software that can do it for you.

When I used to run a 60K user mailing list (well, it was 30K at the time,
and grew to 60K when the user moved), I used to do what you did.  But even
that was a lot of effort, so I moved to qmail+ezmlm, which does bounce
management automagically.  It will do things like see if you are bouncing
for more than a certain number of days, then send a probe message to say
that you'll be nuked if the probe isn't delivered, then a few days after
you are unsubscribed you'll be sent another message saying that you were
unsubscribed.  It will also tell you which messages you missed etc.

I don't mean to suggest that you move to qmail+ezmlm (though I run qmail
myself and love it), but rather to indicate that there is a better way of
doing things...

As for subscribing people to a bounces list...  Well, I don't particularly
like that, because on top of subscribing to my mailing lists again, I also
need to unsubscribe from the bounces list.  I'd much rather just get a
note a day or two after being unsubscribed.

Anyway, I don't think this has much to do with freebsd-questions any more.

Evan