Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 06:11:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diskless Workstation -- Problems needing to be addressed

> Last time I called Linksys they were reluctantly willing to give me some
> unusual info about the NE2000 cards we have, and possibly I could buy a
> boot rom off them and take a look at it :>)

my experience on this: I looked at a boot rom for some other PCI
ne200 clone. They only had code for novell, and internally the rom
looked much different from what "PCI system architecture" says...
My experience is that some BIOSes work fine with a normal ISA boot
rom such as the one produced by netboot, and others (presumably
old ones) seem not to like boot roms on PCI cards (the same card+rom
on another system works fine) even if build the way PCI system
architecture says. So my advice is to try the standard rom first...

As a quick and dirty alternative, since I have some broken ISA
network cards, at times I put there the card with the only purpose
of acting as a boot rom socket.

One more advanced option could be to update the flash bios to
include the boot room, but this is a bit risky...

As for 100 Mbit/s cards, remember they are quite different from ne2000,
and that you will probably have to import a lot of code the controller
(DEC 21x4x ?) they use. Unfortunately you cannot just link in say
if_de.c , probably a lot of hand editing would be necessary (and a copy
of the controller's data sheets). Luckily PCI cards tend to have only
one chip so if you have those docs (often available from the
manufacturer, e.g. www.dec.com or www.intel.com) you are in good
shape...

	Cheers
	Luigi