Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:32:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3)

> In message <199907160023.RAA02029@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : I still think this is the wrong way to deal with the problem. 8)
>
> We mildly disagree here.  The strl* functions are the end all, be all
> of security.  They are just designed to make the existing code that
> uses static buffers easy to make more robust w/o radically altering
> that code.
>
> Of course, strings have always been weak in 'C'.  You make them static
> and they overflow.  You malloc them, and often people forget to free
> them later leading to other problems...

With the addition of a "not" in your first paragraph, I actually think
we're in agreement here.  I'm just maintaining that in most of the
in-tree cases where static buffers are used, a dynamic buffer would
have been a better design choice; you might want to disagree there too
of course. 8)

Regardless, we should definitely adopt these functions for no other
reason than portability, no argument there.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org