Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:24:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup server loads (was: Stable broken)

John Polstra wrote:

> In article <3977334E.AE1F303F@urx.com>, Kent Stewart
> <kstewart@urx.com> wrote:
>
> > That is where I finally got my cvsup update from. I thought cvsup8
> > was much slower than cvsup7 and then I found later that it wasn't
> > very fast on either site.
>
> If you think this is bad then you weren't around in the days when we
> used sup. :-)

My introduction was cvsup_16, I think.

> Tagging makes everybody's updates take longer, and as a result the
> server's client counts go up.  CVSup7 has a limit of 20, and I can
> tell you that machine is breathing pretty hard.  But it seems to be
> performing quite well given the load.  This is the first time I've
> ever seen it max out.

I tried for about 15 minutes and then tried cvsup8. It wasn't full but
it wasn't fast. You weren't the only site that was maxed out. There
must have been a quiet herd waiting for 4.1-RC to work. Kris, and et.
al. around 2300-0100 PDT would commit a fix and boom - the cvsup
servers were all busy. It wouldn't work and the next patch would go in
and each time the servers were full again. I couldn't get in and so
all I could do was chuckle and think of fingers on the triggers and
who would be first :).

> Other than the increased load because of the number of clients, the
> bottleneck usually isn't in the server when the tree is tagged.  The
> bottleneck is almost always your hard drive in that case, since it has
> to edit every file in your repository, write the edited version to a
> temp file, check the MD5 signature, and then move the temp file to the
> right place again.

Two nights ago, when nametoaddr.c was giving us a compile problem, I
had a cvsup7 run in 90 seconds. Last night it was taking 20 minutes. I
thought my Bronze+ DSL had dropped a ways.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg