Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:49:22 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:39:13 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> So basically i can leave toor and root alone, with the only change to toor
> being the shell.  And i only should 'su' to install remove packages?  I
> guess that means my kernel compilation and cvsup scripts can be set to run
> as root as well, then?

All correct, except for a possible misperception.  When you use su, use
``su -m'' -- this leaves most of your environment alone, simply giving
you a higher UID.  Specifically, this leaves your PATH alone.

So now you can have whatever scripts you would run as root in your own
personal directory.  This is bad practice, of course -- if you had more
than one administrator, this wouldn't work.  This is why I'd keep the
scripts in /root/bin -- this doesn't increase writes to that directory.

Just get your scripts to write to sensible places outside the root
partition. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.