Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:50:51 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install Gone Amiss?

Hi Folks,

So I'm wondering if I just did something, um, wrong during my
install here.

I need to rebuild 3 or more FreeBSD boxes.  So I snagged a copy
of the latest 4.3 release put it on a local FTP server, made a
couple boot floppies and installed it onto the first machine.
Worked great.

I then tried to install it on a brand new 30 G and 40 G drives
(Western Digital 7200 rpm Caviar yadda yadda).  For some reason,
I can't seem to get this drive recognized (at the bios level?)
and hence can't be installed onto.  This is a really old box.
Like, the BIOS on it is nearly 10 years old.  Oh yeah.  So I think
it may be being victimized by a bad Large Disk problem or so.

So I thought to myself:

    Heck, self, why not just add that Big Disk to the newly
    installed and booted 4.3 box, run /stand/sysinstall,
    see that it recognizes the Big Disk as ad3, and let it
    suck the FTP site onto that new /dev/ad3s1 disk?

And, not thinking much more than that, I launched into that plan.

I got all the way through the install set up process, selecting
the wd3 disk, of course, and set it into motion....

No newfs'ing happened even though I tried to set one up for
the new Big Disk in ad3.

That's when the worry started setting in.  It looks like the ad0
drive is being real busy, while the ad3 drive is just sitting there.

Should I be able to install onto a new, additional disk like this?

Is it overwriting ad0, the local boot disk, with a new install?
Will that work?

jdl