Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:33:08 +0300
From:      "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        "Manolis Kiagias" <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
Cc:        fixer <orders@fixer.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Flash Drives

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>wrote:

> fixer wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD localhost 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 11:05:30
>> UTC 2007     root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
>> localhost#
>>

>> I just discovered flash drives.  They are very easy to use on Windows.
>> I don't know if FreeBSD supports these drives.  But if FreeBSD does,
>> I need instructions on "how-to-use".  Thanks in advance for anyone who can
>> help.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> Have a look at these:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html
>
> Generally speaking, using an ms-dos (fat/fat32) formatted flash drive is as
> simple as this:
>
> - plug
> - get device name (probably da0) with dmesg |tail
> - mount as root in /mnt:  mount -t msdofs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
> - Copy / move files etc
> - umount /mnt
> - unplug
>
> If you read the handbook section, you will also be able to setup your
> system for user mounting, so you won't have to mount as root.
> Another useful piece of info is this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html
>
> With these instructions you can configure automounting in GUIs like Gnome
> (and XFCE and possibly others, as long as HAL is used)
> Bear in mind that no matter how you mounted the device,   you will have to
> unmount it before physically removing it, otherwise you are in for a nasty
> surprise...

Just to add ....

beastie-6# less /usr/ports/sysutils/automounter/pkg-descr
A script to dynamically configure amd and populate /media with appropriate
links, when USB mass storage devices appear. It relies on geom labels, hence
it only works for properly labeled devices.

It also allows to automatically attach geli encrypted devices and images
with
keys polled from file systems it makes mountable.

WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsdadminscripts/

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,