Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2016 06:51:05 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, reko.turja@liukuma.net
Subject:   Re: Alternatives to rsync

On Oct 17, 2016 1:21 AM, "Lars Engels" <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:46:31AM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > On Friday, 14 October 2016 at  8:01:51 +0300, reko.turja--- via
freebsd-ports wrote:

> > > Greg, I've actually put some thought in making a local port of
> > > rsync2. I've done some research on it and it seems to be fairly
> > > usable and security patched still.
> >
> > Even simpler, use the old version of the current rsync port.  Check
> > out with svn, which (svn log) can also tell you when the last rsync 2
> > version was.
>
> rsync 2 has a different algorithm for checking if a file changed. The
> new one is much faster.

Rsync 2 also spent a long time building a list of changes files first,
before transferring any data.

Rsync 3 starts building the file list, then starts transferring data while
it continues to build the file list. This drops the total time spent by a
large factor. Our backup times dropped by about an hour per server
switching from 2 to 3.

Something else to consider when looking at resurrecting version 2.