Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:16:40 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DocBook -> TXT/HTML/PDF/RTF/PS/DVI

My thanks to Sean Kelly, I now have the DocBook conversion to

   Adobe PDF
   PostScript
   TeX (DVI)
   HTML (separate files)
   HTML (one big file)
   Plain text
   Rich Text Format

working properly. To see what these documents look like when converted,

go to

   <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/index.html>;

If you go there, you'll get the separate HTML.

Replaced index.html with

  book.pdf
  book.ps
  book.dvi
  book.html
  book.txt
  book.rtf

to see the converted version. The process isn't quite perfect yet, but I
think it's almost good enough for the Handbook.

Note in particular that "plain text" is just that, no underlines, or bold,
or other attempts at additional formatting, just the text. This should
remove one of the causes for questions on this list.

Give me a day or so to finish a Makefile and write instructions on what
to install, and this'll be ready for other people to download and test
building.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .