Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:20:09 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avoiding fsck at boot time

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 03:55:16PM +0100, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi,
>  I've got some unstable hardware ATM and whilst I'm trying to track it
> down I would like to minimize downtime. I've enabled soft updates on all
> but the rootfs as I thought this would do it. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Rus
>
> --
> http://www.fsck.me.uk - My blog
> http://shells.fsck.me.uk - Hosting how you want it.

About the only thing you can do is install a 5.0-CURRENT shapshot.  In 5.0
fsck is run in the background with the effect that the system comes up much
faster than a 4.x system after a bad shutdown.  You should realize that
running 5.0 on a production machine isn't for the faint of heart, you're
likely to have other issues depending on your hardware/software/chosen snap.

Josh