Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:03:46 -0600
From:      "WolfRyder" <wolfryder@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FREEBSD.org
Subject:   Re: need help installing freebsd

At 02:34 PM 3/6/03 -0600, scott mcclellan wrote:

-snip-
> > I wasn't able to get the computer to
> >recognize the CD-ROM. Found out through your site that a great number of
> >units get installed as the slave of the Secondary IDE (mine was, much to
> >my dismay). I've since corrected that problem, I think.

I had the same problem and thought I'd fixed it in setup. Had to fiddle
with it a few times. Then, installing on a Maxtor HD, I tried the install a
few times and it screwed up royally. 1st time, it appeared that the CD had
been burned too fast for my computer. 2nd time, it appeared trash was left
on the HD (was windows installed on it before) and I had to zero it out and
3rd time was the charm with a slower burned CD of the Mini. I then went
online to download the rest of what I wanted using ports. (All this was
preliminary to the 4 times I had to reinstall cause I screwed something
else up.)

I'm not sure where I d/loaded the Mini from, but if you want, I can check.

btw, I now have 2 machines running smoothly with FreeBSD, thanks to the
help from this list and a few other sources :)

Thanks ppl!
Carol
ps. don't throw out your old machine! Just a little (well, a whole _Lot_
of) patience and you'll get it working.