Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:23:55 -0700
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mesg: ttyname: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I have a cron entry:

*/5 * * * *       $HOME/bin/pinggate >> /dev/null

Now, it runs every 5 minutes just fine and does exactly what it is supposed
to. However, every time it runs, I get an email with the message:

mesg: ttyname: Inappropriate ioctl for device

What is this trying to telll me and how do I fix it? Script is included
below in case it is something in the pinggate script.

Jamie

---

#!/usr/local/bin/tcsh

ping -c 100 gateway > /tmp/pings/ping.`date +%m.%d.%H.%M`