Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:10:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'Young'" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aliening and freetel

Christopher Michaels wrote:

> Well, for the record, FreeBSD and other assorted *NIX's are easier to use
> now than they used to be (as hard as that is to believe).  I will admit the
> best resource is to have someone else "in-the-know" who is able to help you
> out when you get stuck.

I used to maintain that I could setup a NAT dial out on an NT Server
faster than I could setup ppp on FreeBSD. That is still true but only
if you haven't setup a FreeBSD kernel for a gateway. I used pmdemand
basically right out of the sample file. I did delete everything in
ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown until I was left with

pmdemand:
        delete ALL
        add 0 0 HISADDR

for a linkup and

pmdemand:
 iface clear

for a linkdown.

I set timeout to 600 because I want ppp to drop the line after 10 mins
of inactivity and not my ISP. I also wanted the connect speed to be
logged in the ppp.log. I invoke ppp with

"ppp -auto pmdemand"

The alias enable in pmdemand in ppp.conf is already established. I
just had to change ppp on the login to my username and password. I use
static local IP's and receive a dynamic IP from my ISP. I have
setiathome running on NT. To make it work I found I have to run it
from a batch file, which has a ping followed by a sleep 30 before I
fireup setiathome. I auto terminate at the end of process in order to
capture my result file. Then I ping, sleep, and xfer the data to
Berkeley followed by a terminate. Then I run the batch file that uses
the other set of data. This combination will autodial for days until
Berkeley tries something and I can't connect and transfer data
properly. If a transfer dies, I have 5-10 hours to download the next
work unit. If I don't see the lack of a work unit, the batch files are
very persistent until they get a set of data. I had tried doing
something similar with NAT on NT but life was more difficult for
FreeBSD going that way than NT going the other. FreeBSD dials fast
enough that I don't have to play games with setiathome on FreeBSD. I
get a message that chat failed once in a while but that is usually a
busy line. The problem with the documentation is that there is too
many options that really deal with using a machine as a server on the
Internet and when you want the system to just demand dial out and
alias for your other machines it is really KISS simple.

Kent

> The next best thing is this mailing list, and I can tell you that I would
> not know what I do today if it weren't for the great people here helping me
> out.  Don't give up hope, it does get easier from here.  But, that's a bit
> off topic.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html