Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:21:54 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Serge Bezzubov <gray@yars.free.net>
Cc:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: driver for 3Com 3c590 adapter doesn't work

On Jan 8, 15:52, Serge Bezzubov wrote:
} > On Jan 6, 16:38, Serge Bezzubov wrote:
} > } Subject: driver for 3Com 3c590 adapter doesn't work

} Firstly thank you for your assistance.
} My freind configured a PCI bus using dedicated utility and now while
} system boots I get message:
} vx0 <3Com 3c590 EtherLink III PCI> rev 0 int a irq 5 on pci0:7
} aui/bnc/utp [*UTP*] address ...
}
} It seems OK and even issuing ifconfig command system reports that
} the interface vx0 is configured properly, but no network connection at
} all and even when I issue any command regarding network operation the system
} hangs until I terminate that process.

Well, the Ethernet cable type is generally selected
with the link0, link1 or link2 options to ifconfig.

Well, lets see (quoting from the driver sources):

          * if any of flags link[0-2] is used and its connector is
          * physically present the following connectors are used:
          *
          *   link0 - AUI * highest precedence
          *   link1 - BNC
          *   link2 - UTP * lowest precedence
          *
          * If none of them is specified then
          * connector specified in the EEPROM is used
          * (if present on card or AUI if not).

} The network cable is attached to the BNC connector however the adapter
} driver reports that a network media is the UTP. We supposed that
} something's wrong with adapter. The appropriate driver under MSDOS reports
} correct media type, so adapter works just fine.

You may want to try the "link1" option to ifconfig ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160