Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:28:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-RC Kernel Buffer Corruption (Was: 4.3-BETA makeworld of current STABLE Fails)

:	FreeBSD 4.3-RC (FLOATER) #2: Thu Mar 22 23:19:11 PST 2001
:
:and installed it, I tried to buildworld again.  As before, it stopped in
:"stage 4: building libraries."  As before, the stopper was source file
:(/usr/src/lib/libc/stdio/setvbuf.c) corruption in kernel buffers by binary
:garbage.  It started on a 1024-byte boundary (4096 bytes in) and extending for
:1024 bytes.  Again, the file itself was not corrupted.
:
:For review, Floater is an NEC Versa 6050MX with 48 megabytes of main memory
:and 2 4-Gig disk drives.  A kernel I built on February 16 is the last one that
:doesn't exhibit buffer corruption.  The problem has been consistent across a
:previous kernel config file and the current one.
:
:The previous config file fell victim to my blowing away all of /usr/src and
:re-cvsupping before I realized that the corruption wasn't on the disk.  This
:explanation is by way of saying that the attached config file is a work in
:progress, but it couldn't have caused the identical buffer corruption observed
:with its predecessor.  As a kicker, the previous config file was used to build
:the February 16 kernel that works.
:
:I'd call this a release show-stopper.

    A bunch of questions:

    * Is the corruption in the same file every time you try the buildworld?

    * Is the corruption at the same offset/length?

    * How are you monitoring the corruption?  ktrace?  cat?  vi?

    * How definitive a kernel -stable date can you lock the corruption
      down at?  Judging from this and prior messages, somewhere between
      Feb16 and Mar1 ?

    * Do you have softupdates enabled?  If so, try turning them off.

    * Are you using any special sysctl's ?

						-Matt