Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:40:21 -0000
From:      "Steven" <steven@trance.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   print login details

Hi,

I've just hooked up an old parallel dot matrix printer i've had lying around
to my fbsd firewall/NAT machine. I followed the instructions in the handbook
and can now send lines of text to be printed by using "command > /dev/lpt0".
The purpose of this exercise is to send simple logging to the printer, so if
the machine gets rooted i'll have a hard copy of things.

The machine is accessable by a terminal (on com port 1) and ssh only (it has
no monitor/keyboard attached directly). I am the only person who should ever
log into it. To start off with, I'd just like the machine to print each time
someone logs in (and if when someone su's to another user if possible) the
details (eg time, originating ip etc) and again when they log off.

Is this a straight forward thing to do? Is there a program i need or is it
just a matter of a small shell script? I'd appreciate it if someone could
point me in the right direction.

As ever, thanks for your help

Steven