Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:02:19 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d/SERVER patch for review (Reorder to make ldconfig start _before_ SERVER)

--=-WvzIz2QKFo0Mqb1RzkBg

Hi, Florent,

=E5=9C=A8 2006-04-19=E4=B8=89=E7=9A=84 09:13 +0200=EF=BC=8CFlorent Thoumie=
=E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
[...]
> I'd rather like seeing ports rc.d scripts fixed to require either DAEMON
> or LOGIN, depending on if they should run as root or not.
>=20
> After my latest commit to rc.d/named, ldconfig is started right after
> mountcritremote (means ASAP), so this change doesn't really do anything.

I would prefer that SERVERS to do REQUIRE: ldconfig for the following
reasons:
 - SERVERS is the place (or divider) where we can ensure, say, critical
early services, can start properly.  We should implement the semantic.
 - Currently SERVERS already have a REQUIRE: line pointing to abi, which
is, in my opinion, of the same nature with ldconfig.
 - With "BEFORE: named" we can effectively make ldconfig to run after
our script.  While BEFORE is generally not encouraged, I think it's
confusing for programmer who writes rc.d scripts, and makes it hard to
debug.

Therefore I think making SERVERS to REQUIRE: ldconfig makes better
protection for early startup daemons.

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>    http://www.delphij.net/