Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:52:58 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: plan for ffmpeg-devel

--nextPart4156977.5pu1MKO3jX

On Monday, 2. April 2007, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:37:32 -0400
>
> Michael Johnson <ahze@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I want to move ffmpeg-devel -> ffmpeg and we need testers.
> > not just to make sure things build but to assure movies play,
> > mp3's still play, etc... Please test new ffmpeg-devel
>
> AFAICT, I'm not an active user of ffmpeg-devel or ffmpeg. I see that it
> is installed on a couple of my FreeBSD machines (probably as a
> requirement for something else that I have installed).
>
> It looks to me like ffmpeg is for video format conversion, and that it
> is not a video player program. Is this correct?

Only at first glance - ffmpeg provides the libavformat, libpostprocess and=
=20
libavcodec libraries, which provide container parsing, image enhancement an=
d=20
encoding/decoding, respectively, and which are, and I'm not exagerating her=
e,=20
the de-facto backend of *every* established open source multimedia software=
,=20
be it mplayer, vlc, transcode, xine ... take away ffmpeg from any of those,=
=20
and you get approximately the format support of an out-of-the-box Windows 9=
5.

However, since ffmpeg isn't a project that does proper code releases, most=
=20
other projects maintain the ffmpeg sources in their own repositories and sh=
ip=20
them in their release tarballs (which is somewhat unfortunate).

Like Michael says, vlc is a good test candidate, since it dynamically links=
 to=20
ffmpeg(-devel) as in ports. Transcode is another.

But I think we should consider updating the ffmpeg-devel to a more recent=20
snapshot before doing the move, as even the ffmpeg-devel port is rather=20
outdated these days. Or even better, update ffmpeg to a snapshot that is=20
widely used elsewhere (read: popular Linux distributions) and keep=20
ffmpeg-devel around and put the latter on an aggressive update schedule (on=
ce=20
a month).

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org