Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:41:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Woolley <freebsd-questions-lists@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not able install FreeBSD 5.1 properly

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Sushobhan Das wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing problem in installation of FreeBSD 5.1.  The system
> configuration is – P IV 2.4 GHz with two hard drives & 1 CDROM & 1
> CDRW. I am trying to install FreeBSD in primary slave, in a primary
> partition of size 4GB. I have given 200MB as swap, 1500MB as /usr and
> rest to / . When it asks for installation source, I selected CDRW. But
> during the installation process, it never asked for Disk 2. So, it said
> that it could not find some packages.

I don't recall using disk 2 during installation; I think it's just a
rescue disk.

I'm wondering if you have simply run out of space on /usr, 1.5GB is quite
small. A default FreeBSD installation will allocate only a few hundred MB
for /, and give almost all the space to /usr (/home is then linked to
/usr/home).

However, if I were you, I wouldn't install 5.1 at all, now that 5.2 is
available.