Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 15:08:58 -0600
From:      wilson <wilson@wtp.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   intel ac'97 sound

I have a Cirrus Logic cd4299 CrystalClear Soundfusion chip embedded in
my motherboard.  I was able to get the sound chip working with Linux by
using a module provided by the alsa-project.org and use the intel 8x0
driver.  With FreeBSD 4.1, I tried re-compiling my kernel adding the
following option:

option        pcm

This produced the following login message as FreeBSD 4.1 booted:

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2413) at 31.3 irq 5
chip1: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) AC'97 Audio Controller> port
0xef00-0xef3f,0xe800-0xe8ff irq 5 at device 31.5 on pci0

I can't find any documentation to tell me how to further modify my
kernel config file.  I have searched and searched to find a way to make
my sound chip work under FreeBSD without any luck.  It is only a last
resort that I write.

Should I add something more to the kernel config file?  Should I add
something in the sys/conf/files file?  Should I re-compile the kernel
file?

Could anyone lead me to documentation or give me any information that
describes how to make sound work on my system?

Thanks,
Dan Wilson
wilson@wtp.net