Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:16:21 +1200
From:      kit <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modules + ipf

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:35:04AM +0100, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> I've just read the ipf security bulletin on Bugtraq, and I now need to
> update ipf on all of my servers.
>
> I would appreciate any help with the following couple of questions:
>
> 1. How can I find out if ipf is currently running as a module, or as
> part of my kernel? I think that it is part of my kernel as I have the
> following lines in the bottom of my config :
> options IPFILTER
> options IPFILTER_LOG

kldstat
should list the modules loaded,
but you'd appear to have it compiled in anyway

> 2. I understand that I have to recompile the kernel on all of my
> servers to make this a module, but I'd rather not do a whole make
> install process for ipfilter on each machine. Is there any way to
> build it on one machine, and then farm that out to all the machines ?

for each different kernel conf
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELCONFIGFILE>
on the building machine
	make installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELCONFIGFILE>
on the others
caveat I've had it work once and fail a couple of times before
I figured out you need to mirror the directory structure and
symlinks on the target machine
mostly I tend to do an installworld on the target and
build the whole kernel there the failures can all be
attributable to pilot error
If on your host you have say
/usr/src -> /agent99/usr/src
you will need to mount /agent99/usr/src on /agent99/usr/src on
the target and recreate the symlink

hth
--kit