Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:15:02 +0000 ()
From:      David Brockus <dbrockus@cyberhall.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tape Drive error messages

I installed an HP Colorado T4000s tape drive (SCSI-2 TR-4) in a FreeBSD
2.0.5R machine with an Adaptec 2940 controller.

I installed the drive in case, configured the kernel, and rebooted.  It
recognizes the tape drive.

I ran 'mt' to check the drive status and got this.

cyber1# mt status
Present Mode:   Density = 0x45         Blocksize = 512 bytes
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 2:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable

I got the following system error message

st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc: 24,0 Invalid field in CDB
st0: Cannot set selected mode

What is CDB?

I have obviously missed something, but I am not sure what.

I am new to installing/using tape drives on unix systems, so I apologize
in advance if this is a stupid question.

Is there a device setup file where I specify the density and blocksize
for each mode?

I have found some technical info about TR-4 media

	QIC-3095
	Number of Tracks: 73
	Bit density: 67,733 (docs didn't say if per inch or not)
	Encoding method: RLL1,7
	Length: 270 ft.

My problem is what do I do with this information?  In the man page for
'mt' that specific bit density is not supported, do I just pick the
closest match?

David Brockus