Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:45:43 -0800
From:      "Nerius Landys" <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        "Bill Banks" <office@ourweb.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: starting a program at boot time

how do i  start a program  at boot time?

What is the exact program you want to start at boot time?  Is this a
standard program that is typically started at boot time or is it some sort
of custom program that is non-standard?  If it's a standard program such as
the ssh daemon or the apache webserver, then read my post, otherwise ignore
what I say here and refer to other people's posts.

Have a look in the directories /etc/rc.d/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.  Do you
see a script in these directories that may lauch the program you're
interested in at boot time?  For example, on my system, I want ssh and
apache running on bootup.  I see the file /etc/rc.d/sshd and the file
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22.  These are scripts that lauch the programs.  I
would start sshd manually for example by

  > /etc/rc.d/sshd start

To enable these on bootup automatically, edit your /etc/rc.conf file.  Mine
has the following lines:

  sshd_enable="YES"
  apache22_enable="YES"

As you can see the lines resemble the script names in the rc.d directories.
To enable your program at boot time, add a similar line to rc.conf.

Hope this helps.

-Nerius