Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:13:14 +0200
From:      Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>, Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 103633 for review

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:42:50PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Roman Divacky wrote:
>
> >http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=103633
> >
> >Change 103633 by rdivacky@rdivacky_witten on 2006/08/11 11:10:09
> >
> >	Giantify futex code - this is necessary because the futex code is
> >	expected to be atomic.
> >	I need to assure the atomicity. I am using Giant because its
> >	sleepable mutex. I hope
> >	someone will point me to some other better solution.
>
> Giant is not "sleepable" in the same sense that sx locks, lockmgr locks,
> etc, are.  Normally "sleepable" means that the lock can be held across a
> sleep of potentially unbounded length, such as msleep(), tsleep(),
> cv_wait(), etc. Giant is automatically dropped by the kernel on sleep, and
> re-acquired one wakeup.  This means that Giant does not provide mutual
> exclusion across a sleep -- if this is a property you are relying on, then
> Giant is not what you want.  If you most sleep while holding a lock, I
> would recommend an sx lock. However, a preferred solution is not to sleep
> holding a lock.

yes... sleepable as in "can be held while sleeping no matter how this is acomplished"

I think the main problem (which is now fixed) was with this:

	copyin(addr, val1);
	if (val1 == val2)

being non-atomic. On the other hand I tried to use other locks other then Giant and it
didnt work. I hope to investigate that later. Now I have this working and my focus is elsewhere.