Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:52:29 -0000
From:      "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        "Freebsd-ISP (E-mail)" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

On 25 Jun 99, at 19:14, Martyn Routley wrote:

> http://www.popbeamer.com/
>
> 'Haven't used it but apparently it enables Exchange Server to collect from
> any number of POP3 accounts. Therefore no fixed IP required.

I think you're guilty of seeing things from your perspective, rather
than the customer's perspective.

From my point of view, I don't want to be tied to a vendor, to an
ISP.  Some ISP's disappear without warning.  Some get bought
and the service goes to hell in a handbasket.

So.... I want my own mailboxes at myname.com, not at
yourname.com.  That way, if my ISP jerks me around - and it
happens - I can call other vendors, find one more compatible with
my goals, and then arrange for an orderly switchover, even it
means paying the old ISP for a few extra months of service.  In
short, I don't want to look at POP3 accounts at your site.

I want the POP3 accounts at my site.

And.... as near as I can tell, that means I need to have a DNS and
some MX records pointing at my site...... and that suggests a
static IP address.  Again, this also implies a 7x24 connection
rather than a short term dial up connection.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

Recently Seen On A Bumper Sticker Near Your Home:
As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools.