Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:56:14 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joost van Dijk <joost@amiculus.com>
Subject:   Re: messages from dhclient

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 01:04:48PM +0200, Joost van Dijk wrote:
> Hello,=20
>=20
> I have installed dhcp to get my FreeBSD system on line, a machine which I=
 am=20
> trying to set up as a web server. I used sysinstall and it seems to work=
=20
> correctly (this e-mail is coming from my Linux workstation).=20

> However, when working on the FreeBSD machine I keep getting the
> following message: <date & time> dhclient: send_packet: permission
> denied.  What does this mean?

It looks to me like you're not running dhclient with sufficient
permissions (i.e. not as root), or you have a firewall that doesn't let the
traffic through.

> I cannot find a reference to it in the man files.
> It is a nuisance. When I am editing a config file with vi, this message g=
et=20
> written into the file, and over cofig file lines. How can I turn it off.=
=20

The message is written on your terminal, but should not be written into
the file. Does pressing crtl+l help restore the screen?

You could redirect the standard error stream for dhclient to /dev/null
when you start it up: "dhclient 2>/dev/null". Or kill dhclient while
you're editing.

Alternatively, you could keep a copy of the FreeBSD servers
configuration files (/etc and /usr/local/etc) on your workstation
(e.g. in ~/setup/server/) where you can edit them at your leisure and
keep them under revision control. After making changes you could can
synchronize with rsync, provided you have rsync running as a daemon on
the server.

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU