Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        Alfred <perlsta@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Alfred wrote:

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Alfred <perlsta@hotjobs.com>
> To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: bitten 3 times already.
>

> this is the third time freebsd has decided that wd0s1b wasn't "comfy"
> enough for a crashdump and ate a different partition while dumping.
>
> i even checked sysctl for the dumpdev and then checked against my /dev
> entry.
>
> this is on 2 seperate systems, i got yelled at for using DEVFS so i
> haven't been using it.

To provide another data point, I'm running -current (as of Friday) with
DEVFS (yes, I like to live dangerously ;-) on my Dell Latitude CPi laptop.
I've done a few crash dumps and they DTRT.

252 ender:~> sysctl kern.dumpdev
kern.dumpdev: { major = 0, minor = 262145 }
253 ender:~> uname -a
FreeBSD ender.sf.scient.com 3.0-BETA FreeBSD 3.0-BETA #1:
Fri Oct  9 23:41:16 PDT 1998
enkhyl@ender.sf.scient.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ENDER-aout i386

--
Christopher Nielsen
Scient: The Art and Science of Electronic Business