Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:00:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "unlocking" stale nfs? adding -t to running nfsd?

In the last episode (Jun 13), Palle Girgensohn said:
> I have an nfs mount mounted without -i or -s (stoopid me!), just
> plain mount server:/fs /lfs. This was over a WAN connection, and of
> course the connection server<->client broke somehow, and now the
> mount is stale. This naturally means that I cannot do ls -l / , since
> it hangs forever. Now the question: is there any way to unstale this,
> so the machine can go back to normal again, without a reboot?

umount -f /mountpoint, and remount it.  The only thing I know of that
can cause an entire mountpoint to go stale is if the server gets
rebooted with a new kernel and it can't determine which filesystem an
incoming request is for.  Connectivity issues shouldn't cause this.

> I should really do this mount with tcp, of course, but found no way
> to get a running nfsd to also start accepting tcp (nfsd runs with "-n
> 6 -u", no -t). Is there a way to tell a running nfsd to start
> accepting tcp connections?

Just bounce nfsd after changing nfs_server_flags in rc.conf.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com