Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:47:18 +0200 (MET)
From:      "Jesus A. Mora Marin" <amora@obelix.cica.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   troubles with IBCS emulation

Hi, folk!

I am a proud user of FreeBSD 2.1R since last January and some time ago got rid
of the Linux slice on my 1GB hard disk, in order to enlarge the BSD one.
Nevertheless, I've run into some trouble recently, when tried to get Informix
4.1 to work on FreeBSD with IBCS emulation enabled. Of course, I recompiled my
custom kernel including the following options in the config file:

        options         SYSVSHM
        options         SYSVSEM
        options         SYSVMSG
        options         "COMPAT_IBCS2"
        options         "IBCS2"

I have got the shared libs `libc_s' and `libnsl_s' from SCO Unix 386
3.2.`something else' and copied them into a new directory `/shlib'. I tested
the new kernel with Korn Shell obtained from a more recent version of SCO Unix
and it ran smoothly. So I added a new ad-hoc account `informix' and installed
Informix 4.1 (Standard Engine, ISQL and RDS) on its home directory. But when
I try to execute any sentence inside the SQL I get an "engine terminated
unexpectedly" or something alike. On console, the following message arises:
"jammsys/kernel: pid <pid>: sqlexec: uid <informix' uid>: exited on signal 10"

ktracing the sqlexec process this dump results:

      <pid> sqlexec     RET     read 53/0x34
                        CALL    old.lstat(0xefbfdc2a, 0, 0x1, 0, 0)
                        RET     old.lstat 0
                        PSIG    SIGBUS SIG_DFL
                        NAMI    "sqlexec.core"

The question is whether I have missed some crucial point or not. I am very
interested in this matter, so any suggestion, comment or hint will be
welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

                                        Jesus.

PS.: By the way, two additional questions of less interest:
1) Is there any way to execute old Xenix-286 binaries? Current implementation
   of IBCS doesn't seem to recognize them. I wonder whether the 286-emulator
   included in SCO Unix 386 is of any value.

2) Can be supported emulation for IBCS and Linux on the same kernel?
Thanks again!