Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 21:30:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rich Siggs <rich@goliath.spirit.net.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: exportable DES library & "DES How To" for 2.1-STABLE

Hello again Jordan,

> > What does 1.1 use then? Would there be _any_ chance of moving a 1.1 passwd
> > entry to 2.1, even perhaps pulling in the 1.1 encryption code?
>
> Sure.  Again, if you're talking about a purely DES or MD5 password file
> you can migrate now.  Since 1.1 didn't use MD5, that's pretty straight-
> forward!

	Indeed - but it was mentioned earlier that 1.1 _didn't_ use DES (that's
new on me, as I was assuming 1.1 did use a DES algorithm). In that case, though
1.1 didn't use MD5, but also (supposedly) didn't use DES, then I really am hosed
here then.  As far as I know, I'm using the default passwd file format/encryption
that came with 1.1.5.1-RELEASE & I guess there's little alternative if DES
wasn't in use with 1.1 to attempt the port of 1.1's algorithm to my 2.1 Servers
(hihohiho - off to hackers I go.. - or do the unfathomable & get my clients
to go through the rigors of passwd changes (ohmigod ;) .. or just stay on
1.1.  Are there any other alternatives??

Thanks again,
Rich.