Date:      05 Nov 1998 16:01:18 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        Eric Hake <eric@clean.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to monitor a remote unix box?

Eric Hake <eric@clean.net> writes:

>I've got a situation where I am going to be installing headless bsd boxes

>My question is this:  What is the best way to remote monitor each of these
>boxes from a central NOC, so I can be alerted of problems as they develop?

I would look into SNMP.  Set up one box to gather SNMP info from each
of the other systems, set up alarms on things you care about
(e.g. disk space, etc).

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;