Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:18:05 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Danny Edge <nocmonkey@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Software RAID options

Hi,

Danny Edge wrote:
> What works for you and can you suggest a guide? I haven't setup a BSD server
> in 8 years, but my environment will be:

I've been using gmirror for some time, without problems.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

> FreeBSD 7.2 Release
> x2 HD's (not the same size, if I need to spend the money, on two like

You really never specified your RAID type.  If it is RAID-0 (striping), as
the cliche goes, size doesn't matter.  If it is RAID-1, if you do not have
identically sized disks, the mirror will only be as large as the smallest
disk.  (This is mentioned in the handbook, as well.)

> I also plan on backing up via newbie rsync and SSH scripts.

May I suggest rsnapshot?

Regards,

--
Glen Barber