Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:51:00 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, eivind@yes.no
Cc:        sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 03:00:26PM -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * From: Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
>
>  * I didn't quite get your m4-problem - it might be that you have a wrong
>  * version installed compared to what things depend on?  Dependencies for ports
>  * are on explict versions, which can often be annoying.
>
> It's only for packages though.

Not quite true.  'make deinstall' will only match the exact version you've
got in your ports tree, for instance.  (I hope I'm not wrong here...)

> (By the way, If someone can make think of a way to make packages depend
> smarter, I want to hear it!)

Check for versions.  Version should be split after last -, and then compared
group by group, numeric compare if numbers, value-compare if alphabetical.
This would require us to re-number ports that consider versions as
fractions.

We _could_ also elect to instead include a date in each pkg-dir...

Eivind.