Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2016 14:17:35 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <doug@mail.sermon-archive.info>
To:        Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <me@niklaas.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need advice for setting up mail server

> On 7 August 2016, at 11:01, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff =
<me@niklaas.eu> wrote:
>=20
> What I can highly recommend is mail/spamd. I learned about it in
> the FreeBSD Handbook. However, documentation there seems a bit
> old so it's not longer correct. Spamd offers greylisting too but,
> as mentioned above, there are reasons not to enable that.
> However, you can also run it in blocking mode solely. This way it
> collects updated entries on malicious hosts that you can pipe to
> PF and block with your firewall. Very resource-friendly. Read
> spamd(8) for how to configure it properly (and don't trust the
> handbook on it).

I am running spamd (obspamd last time I checked) on the mail server for =
a medium sized ISP.  It has never worked the way the documentation =
describes.  However, it has been useful.  When I first installed it, =
around 90% of the email being received was dropped.  It blocks drive-by =
spammers who don't queue and retry on TMP_FAILs.  Unfortunately, it =
appears that many spammers now can afford the disk and processor =
resources to enable queueing and retrying so its usefulness is =
diminishing.

The issue that has bugged me with it is that it does not deliver the =
email that causes the site to be whitelisted.  You have to wait for it =
to try yet another time to actually get it.

The small business mail server does not have that implemented at this =
time.  I hope to avoid it, but will have to see what happens in the =
future.