Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:14:24 -0700
From:      Chris Telting <christopher-ml@telting.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TEKEN_UTF8 TEKEN_XTERM

On 08/05/10 01:10, David DEMELIER wrote:
> I think using "xterm" as term definition is just stupid. If you're not
> running X why will you use a term that live in X normally? By the way
> it also sucks if you make some $TERM settings considering your shell.

The point of these options (TEKEN_UTF8 and TEKEN_XTERM) is to enable an
internally Unicode based terminal and from there have characters mapped
according to font files.  With standard hardware you can have 256 or 512
text mode characters.

Unless you have a real terminal on a serial port the term at your
console is emulated with your video card and keyboard.  xterm I believe
is a more advanced terminal definition with a large number of additional
capabilities over a simple vt100 terminal.  So we can try to use what
exists now "xterm" or we can create yet another terminal definition.

Once the above works the next step would be to extend the terminal
driver to use graphics modes and with modern accelerated cards it should
be trivial to achieve the same speed we are use to with text mode.  Some
people were playing around with this years ago but so far I haven't
found anything new.

And while English is my native language I welcome the evolution of new
international capabilities.  What can I say, I'm a fan of text mode.

Chris