Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:04:46 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, pwd8jmr22w@me.point.ne.jp
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail problem - Helo command rejected: Host not found

On 2005-01-10 19:38, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
>Srot BULL wrote:
>>> The simple answer is that the name your machine claims to be isn't
>>> registered in the DNS, which is normal for dynamic connections.  You
>>> should either relay all email to the mailserver your ISP should have
>>> available, or you should configure your MTA to masquerade as a valid
>>> domain.  The former is likely to better in terms of passing
>>> spam-sensitive mailers.
>>
>> Can I configure my system's sendmail to the above suggestion that you
>> wrote? Or am I stuck to using Evolution/Thunderbird with an SMTP
>> setting and not sendmail as my smtp server?  [...]
>
> Go to /etc/mail.  Edit freebsd.cf (look for SMART_HOST), point it at your
> ISP's mail server.  Do "make stop; make install; make start".

FWIW, the file edited should be `freebsd.mc', not `freebsd.cf' otherwise
a subsequent "make install" will overwrite the edited `freebsd.cf' file
with a fresh copy generated from `freebsd.mc'.

To the original poster...

The configuration process of Sendmail can be a bit tricky, but it has
been discussed over and over again in this list.  You may also find it
useful to search the mailing list archives:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/