Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 14:52:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Fisher <mfisher@harborcom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hard drive difficulties

Hello.  I am running a Micropolis Stinger on an Adaptec 2940A SCSI
controller.  Until recently (I'm assuming within the last day), I have had
no complaints.  However, I noticed today when my security message came
through that there were some hard drive problems...Here is what the error
looks like:

sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x565d82 asc:1 1,0 Unrecovered read
error, FAILURE

(It retries beginning with 4 and decrements to the failure).  I have done
a fsck and was able to handle some of these errors by remapping, but fscks
since then just report that a problem does indeed exist.

Is there any way that I can take care of this short of doing a newfs?  I'd
assume that it won't write to the problematic regions since it would
timeout, but I'll still have this problem whenever I do an intensive find
(or the security script runs).

Thank you.

--
Mike
  "I swear - by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live