Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   P6 performance with GCC 2.6.3

It's a toy, I don't need the power, but I'd like to find out how much of a
toy it would be if in my latest round of upgrades, I went for a P6/150.

I'm only concerned with how well this will do under FreeBSD, as I don't
run anything else.  Has anyone compared how well the P6 runs stock GCC
2.6.3 code to a P5 running the same code?

My current machine is a P5/100 with 16 Meg of EDO ram, and other than the
occasional swap-storm (Netscape) and large compilations, it's as fast as I
need. The only reason I'm upgrading is because my wife needs a faster
machine for voice recognition.

Basically, the options I'm considering are:

P5/120 with TYAN Tomcat I MB, 512K PBcache	$380
P5/150 with TYAN Tomcat I MB, 512K PBcache	$495
P5/150 with TYAN Tomcat II MB, 256K* PBcache	$525
P6/150 with 440FX "Natoma" based FreeTech MB	$570

* The scuttlebutt about the Tomcat II is that it has problems if you have
all three of the following.  Clock speed greater than 120Mhz, dual CPU,
512K cache.  Other than that, this counts as a neat toy because I'd drop a
second P5/150 in there as soon as FreeBSD SMP reaches maturity, if not
sooner.

Each would include 32Meg EDO ram, and I'd try to overclock each just far
enough to get a 33 Mhz bus speed.  I expect that I'll see the majority of
the speed increase going from 16M to 32M, so any of these will be fast
enough to handle my work, it's just a matter of snappyness.

Any money I save here goes towards converting my system over to SCSI and
getting a tape drive.