Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:32:18 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Max Brazhnikov <makc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, kde@freebsd.org, ruby@freebsd.org, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org, "Jason E. Hale" <bsdkaffee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Max Brazhnikov <makc@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 09:51:40 -0500 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> You need to start to respect the people's work and plan, Doug. Also I
>> am part of team that maintaining the bsd.gnome.mk. Yes it will be
>> re-add if anyone plan to remove it, because I already have planned add
>> the :build/:run feature in the bsd.gnome.mk that the without :* will
>> be both build/run time dependency.
>
> in kde4.mk we support not only run/build suffixes, but also have default
> dependence type if suffix is not set.
>
>> The only thing that I don't plan is to chase thousands of port to have
>> the 'pkgconfig;build'. If anyone want to take up this task is cool
>> with me.
>
> Why should we change lots of ports and always keep eyes on new ports, if it
> can be altered once in .mk ??

Because it's not a right solution. There are very few need pkg-config
in the runtime dependency. Also I already have designed feature that
way (it's not for pkg-config, but all stuff in the bsd.gnome.mk) and
it doesn't break anything by defaut. But don't worry because bapt, kwm
and I have discussed about add USE_PKGCONFIG in the bsd.port.mk and
rip pkg-config out of bsd.gnome.mk. It's even better, but I know it's
more work like USE_GNOME=pkgconfig:build.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org