Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:18:56 -0700
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: du which understands ZFS

On Aug 19, 2013, at 9:46 PM, Artem Belevich wrote:

>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM, aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com> =
wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Is there a version of du which understands ZFS?
>=20
> Currently when running du I get this;
>=20
> I guess you meant 'df'.
>=20
> Alas, the answer seems to be 'no, there's no ZFS-aware df'. The reason =
for that is that df gets its info via statfs(2) call and the only info =
it gets back is total number of blocks and available number of blocks. =
It's assumed that used space equals total-available. It worked well =
enough for other filesystems where it was filesystem that was managing =
disk space.
>=20
> ZFS obviously violates this assumption as available space is actually =
property of the pool, not of the filesystem, so ZFS has to lie about =
total size in order to present (arguably more important) amount of used =
and available space in a consistent way.=20
>=20
> --Artem

Thanks for the reply.

There is a ZFS aware df in Illumos.  I wonder if it would be possible to =
port this to FreeBSD?

Unsure how it works, hell I didn't even know how df worked until you =
explained, still kinda don't :)

At any rate, perhaps I'll bring bring this up in the FreeBSD dev list to =
see what traction I get.

- aurf

>=20
>=20
> Filesystem                        Size    Used   Avail Capacity  =
Mounted on
> abyss                             51T     50k      51T     0%          =
 /abyss
> abyss/PROJECT             72T     20T      51T    29%           =
/abyss/PROJECTS
> abyss/PROJECTX         54T    2.6T      51T     5%      =
/abyss/PROJECTSX